Wednesday, June 17, 2015

It Smells Like a Papa Gino's In Here

Believe it or not, that was a compliment on the below dish from my husband. I guess that is a good smell, right?

I made a simple yet delicious Eggplant Parmesan recipe from Cooking Light. The original recipe called for a side of orzo but instead of buying a box of orzo, I decided to just serve it with a side of whole wheat fusilli I had lying around. One of my ways to cut costs at the grocery store is to use what I have in my pantry by making minor substitutions. You are not tied to what the recipe calls for, work with what you have so there aren't extra random ingredients lying around. 

The eggplant was sliced into 1/2 inch slices. Then, they were dipped into flour, egg, and a mixture of panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and oregano. This breading method is used for chicken, pork, etc. and really allows the breading to stick to the item. I remember the order by thinking about FEB


Flour
Eggs
Breadcrumbs

Dip in that order.


The eggplant was then broiled on each side to a crispy and crunchy finish on the outside, tender on the inside. This was the stage in which the Papa Gino's comment was called in from the living room. 

I added fresh mozzarella to the top of each eggplant round and put them back under the broiler to melt. As this was a quick and easy recipe, I just heated up Trader Joe's Tomato and Basil Marinara Sauce to serve along with sauteeing a side of kale with coconut oil, chicken stock, salt, pepper, nutmeg, garlic powder, and apple cider vinegar.


Two thumbs up for this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment