Saturday, July 25, 2015

So. Much. Food

You guys must think that all I do is eat, right?

Well, you are correct.

I promise I try to work-out regularly to combat this.

On Wednesday night, I made homemade vanilla ice cream with bananas foster. I tried to make it as "light" as possible. I just love real vanilla ice cream. I used a recipe from Cooking Light and it came out pretty good. I winged the bananas foster part. I melted butter and added a little bit of bourbon, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt and to meld together. I then added in the sliced bananas and let them soften. Obviously not traditional but you still get the same taste (with less butter/alcohol/sugar). 


On Thursday, I played hooky and took the day off from work to go to the Cape with my husband's family. It ended up being the perfect beach day. We went to South Cape Beach in Mashpee but before getting there, we stopped for breakfast at the Dan'l Webster Inn in Sandwich. 

I ordered a spelt and stoneground wheat waffle with raspberry butter and whipped cream. It wasn't as fluffy as a typical waffle since it was made with whole wheat flour but that is what I liked about it, it felt more filling. I also didn't eat all of the butter/whipped cream since that clearly did not contribute to the healthy factor.


My husband had the Prime Rib Hash 


After spending a few hours at the beach, we headed to Woods Hole in Falmouth and had a late lunch at the Landfall Restaurant. This place had an awesome view of the water and there were tons of buoys that decorated the ceiling.


I ordered a Cape Cod Red beer and a turkey club sandwich with sweet potato fries.


Perfect ending to a perfect day. Later on we had to head to Assembly Row in Somerville where my husband works so we grabbed a pretzel and beer at the American Fresh Brewhouse which is owned by a local beer company, Slumbrew. It is a year-round beer garden. We went in the winter when it was covered by a tent but in the summer, they take the tent off so it is all outdoors. Awesome.


I ordered the Happy Sol beer which is a blood orange hefeweizen. The pretzels are so good and they make their own spicy, sweet mustard. 


Last night, we headed to my former figure skating coach's house (which is 1.5 miles away from us and we have been trying for 3+ years to get together. Sad.) to hang out with him and his husband. I made a Bourbon Peach Cobbler with homemade whipped cream to bring over.


The is probably the most butter that's ever been in this skillet. I sliced up 8 peaches and let them sit in sugar and bourbon. Then, they were sauteed in the butter for a few minutes. After that, I dropped tablespoons of dough on top and let it bake in the oven in the skillet.


It was amazing. I mean with 2 sticks of butter, it should be. I'm also super proud of this picture. Doesn't it look legit??

The secret to homemade whipped cream is to put the bowl into the freezer for at least 15 minutes before adding in the cream to whip. Sometimes I use my KitchenAid stand mixer and this time I used my Cuisinart hand blender with the whisk attachment. I added in some sugar, bourbon, and vanilla to flavor. I could eat this whole bowl.


We had such an awesome time at John and Paul's house. They have an absolutely beautiful garden, deck, and screened in porch. It was the perfect night for being outside. They served a lovely spread of 7 layer dip, bacon wrapped beef tenderloin (yup), yogurt dip, cheese, and crackers.


Oh and wine. Lots and lots of wine.


We watched the sun set from their deck. It was gorgeous. 

Tomorrow night, Tim and I are taking my mother out to dinner at Mario Batali's new restaurant in Boston, Babbo. Super excited for this!! 














No comments:

Post a Comment