Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Birthday Shrimp and Grits

I apologize for completely being M.I.A. recently. Time flies when you're having fun!

I held a surprise 30th birthday party for my husband at one of our favorite bars, Cagney's in Quincy. He almost had to work at night and I almost had a complete meltdown. But, it all worked out somehow. Even though it was next to impossible to get him to the restaurant. And then he sat us down at a table on the regular side of the restaurant before we could get to the function side. Me and my friends Kristen and Mark didn't know what to do to get him over there. Awkwardly running to the bathroom (but really function room) and back didn't help. I ended up saying "Come here for a minute..." I'm sure at that point he was like WTF. But it was a success. I got him this really cool Top Gun cake (his fave movie everrr).


The cake was from the Cake in a Box in Bridgewater.



I do have a blog surprise brewing so I will let you know when that happens. But for now, you are all left hanging. Sorry.

Tonight I made Shrimp and Grits for Tim's actual birthday from a recipe from Bobby Flay. I really used polenta made from cornmeal because I didn't want to buy grits. I discovered that the 5 cups of water to 1 cup cornmeal ratio makes the polenta very creamy which is ideal. There was also bacon involved.



Also, I got him a cup from our favorite bar in Chicago, Three Dots and a Dash. Turns out you can buy the crazy tiki glasses from there! We had wine. So he had to put a straw in it to drink it. We are classy up in here.


Additionally, I did a wine run at Newport Vineyards in Newport, RI. It would have been beautiful as it literally went through the vineyards and fields and woods but it poured on us. It was fun though! They serve you a glass of wine as soon as you cross the finish line. Then there was a BBQ.



My coworker Liz and I after finishing the 3.5 mile race. I also ran with my husband, my friend Mara and her sister, and Liz and her cousin and cousin's fiance.




So that's the update from the side of the world. How are you all doing out there?!



No comments:

Post a Comment