Sunday, September 27, 2015

How About Them Apples?

It is definitely feeling like fall now in the Boston area!

I am finally ready. I was in denial for a while but now I am ready for pumpkin stuff everywhere.

Yesterday, I kicked off the fall season going apple-picking with my family. We usually go to The Big Apple in Wrentham each year. They have Pick Your Own then also have an awesome store with all kinds of fun food and treats.

The weather was gorgeous yesterday and there were rows and rows of apples waiting to be picked.


We kept sampling the different types of apples which is something I've never done before.

My sister, ever the model

It was interesting to compare Gala vs. Empire vs. Cortland vs. Macintosh. Galas and Empires were more sweet, Macintosh had sweetness but not as sweet, and Cortlands were almost grassy tasting. 


My mother and I split a 1/2 bushel (20 pounds). It was a lot of heavy apples to carry back to the car. After apple-picking, we headed to the store.


It smelled like heaven inside.


There were all kinds of amazing treats. I bought some apple cider and honey sticks and we all split a bag of apple cider donuts.


After the donuts, we were hungry for some lunch (believe it or not). We headed over to Cafe Assisi just down the street. My mom and I discovered this Italian restaurant a few years ago. There are no good restaurants at the Wrentham Outlets so we went a bit further away and found this gem. They have all kinds of awesome Italian food. I ended up with a half of a chicken parm sandwich


and their "deli case salad" which today was a mixture of marinated vegetables, feta cheese, and arugula. The dressing was sooooo good.


As if we didn't eat enough, we stopped by the Cake Diner in Raynham. 


The decor was absolutely adorable and there were rows of treats to pick from.


I chose "The Godmother" brown which had chocolate, walnuts, and other great things on it.


I'd say that was a successful day. Now, what to do with all of the apples I have now....










No comments:

Post a Comment