Monday, November 30, 2015

The Adventure Begins

Guten Abend from Deutschland! My husband and I arrived yesterday morning. We spent that day napping and hanging out as we were exhausted from the flight. We are currently staying in temporary housing in Herzogenaurach, Germany until we find our permanent place in the Nuremberg area for the next month or so. The hotel that we are at has extended stay apartments complete with a kitchenette. And I mean kitchenETTE.



Today we registered with the German authorities, got our visas, opened a bank account, and went grocery shopping. Tomorrow, I start work. We were able to fairly successfully go food shopping after finding some simple dishes I could make over the next few days. I'm sure you are wondering why bother with the cooking. Well, I spent 2 out of the last 3 weeks living out of a suitcase and going out to eat in Germany when I was here on a business trip. Then, I was home for the week of Thanksgiving and cooked a little with my family. Also, there is nothing nearby in terms of food (and I refuse to eat at the hotel restaurant every day/night). Now that I am back here, I do miss cooking on a regular basis. The movers packed everything major so I won't have access to any of my kitchen gear for a while until it arrives *sad face,* I did bring some random ingredients and my chef knife with me. Available to me in the hotel room is a couple of sauce pans and a couple of saute pans, a fish spatula, a whisk, a cutting board, dishes and cups, a microwave, a coffee maker, stovetop with 2 burners, a dish sponge, and a towel. So, I have to be creative over the next month or so.

I had picked out this Spaghetti Pangrattato with Crispy eggs from Smitten Kitchen. Except I forgot the breadcrumbs and parsley it called for along with not being able to find parmiggiano-reggiano. So I had to be a bit creative. I sauteed garlic and onions in olive oil then added a little chicken stock, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes, then tossed with spaghetti. I fried up a couple of eggs to top the pasta off with and then served with some bread. Although I accidentally dumped too much salt on it since I opened up the wrong side of the salt shaker. Oops.


And sorry for the blurry picture. This was an adventure all right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment