Saturday, January 9, 2016

'Murica and Food News

I love seeing other countries' idea of American food. As I am sure Italians make fun of American-Italian cuisine. 

As you saw on Instagram, my husband and I paid a visit to a restaurant called Arizona in the town of Erlangen. We had walked by it a few times before. Walking up to the door, you see picnic tables and hay. The inside kind of looked like a Texas Roadhouse (way less noisy and no amazing rolls with cinnamon honey butter). They had lots of burgers, steaks, curly fries, and ribs. Typical American, duh. 


There was this one drink called the American Homestyle Beer that was beer with bourbon, lime juice, lemon, and ginger ale served on the rocks. Now, I don't think I have come across this in America and I was tempted to try it but went with a Moscow Mule (with cucumbers?) instead.


I got a Kentucky Burger.


And that was that. 

Now we are less than week to our move-in, we can almost buy a car, and we bought internet for our apartment which is going to take 2 weeks to arrive! German life is coming together in pieces.

Also in exciting news, we booked a trip to Greece at the end of March!!! I am soooo excited. I have always wanted to go ever since I read/saw Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants where Lena goes to Greece and meets Kostos. Flashback right there for ya. We are staying in Santorini, like Lena.

There has been some interesting food news this week, speaking of America.

Have you seen the article about Tom Brady's diet? His personal chef told all. Many things that he and Gisele steer clear from make a lot of sense like soda and candy. But some of the things that cause "inflammation" he avoids like cayenne pepper, eggplant, tomatoes, and mushrooms. This is where it all goes crazy. I would be so sad without spicy food in my life. 

And the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans have been released by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Agriculture. It was a much needed update as the obesity and heart disease (and many other diseases) epidemics grow worse. Some of the highlights include limiting sugar intake but loosening restrictions on eggs and coffee. #WINNING. 

If you are interested in the clean eating revolution and wanting to know more about where your food comes from and what you should and shouldn't eat (and although I am very aware of what to eat and what to avoid, I am still confused!), I recommend watching Michael Pollan's new documentary, In Defense of Food (based on his book of the same name). His motto is "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Eye-opening. 

That's all for now folks, I hope you are enjoying your weekend!


3 comments:

  1. Santorini is SO wonderful! Everywhere you look is picture perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly wait to see pictures of your new apartment. Sounds like you and Tim are enjoying yourselves in your new home

    ReplyDelete